The okra is also known as abelmosco, quimbombó or ñajú, it is a vegetable that contains a mucilaginous substance that gives it an aloe or gelatinous texture, which is why it is used to thicken soups and some salsas.
In addition, it is a vegetable low in calories, rich in fiber and vitamins of the B, A and C complex, as well as in minerals such as calcium, iron and magnesium, so it provides several benefits for health.
The scientific name of the okra is Abelmoschus esculentus and belongs to the malvaceae family, this plant can be included in salads, soups, jugos, stews and can be consumed fresh, dehydrated, fried or herved.
what is it for
The consumption of okra provides several health benefits, as it is rich in chlorophyll and phenolic compounds that confer anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and antimicrobial properties. The main benefits are:
- Promote weight lossbecause it contains few calories and is rich in fiber, which increases the feeling of satiety;
- To control the blood sugar levelsbecause the fibers help to regulate the rate of absorption of sugar at the intestinal level, being an excellent option for people who suffer from diabetes;
- Help control cholesterol levels by containing soluble fibers, which reduce the absorption of fats in the intestine, reducing the risk of suffering cardiovascular diseases;
- It could inhibit the adhesion of Helicobacter Pylori in the gastrointestinal tractreducing the risk of suffering gastritis or ulcers;
- Improve intestinal transit due to the high presence of fibers, preventing stress and favoring the elimination of toxins from the body;
- reduce stress and helps to relax by being rich in magnesium;
- Help maintain visual health, for being rich in vitamin A and beta carotenes;
- prevent anemia by containing folic acid and hierro;
- Promoting skin and hair health, because it is rich in B vitamins, beta carotene and vitamin C and A, which help protect skin from solar rays and favor tissue repair. Asimism, due to its antioxidant action, prevents premature aging;
- Maintain the health of the huesos y de los dientes due to its high calcium content.
In addition, the frequent consumption of okra could help to reduce the risk of developing chronic diseases such as atherosclerosis and cancer, because it is rich in flavonoids, carotenoids and vitamin C, which exert a strong antioxidant action, preventing oxidative stress and the damage of free radicals to the cells. Find out about other fiber-rich foods that help you lose weight and control diabetes.
The table below shows the nutritional composition for 100 grams of okra:
|components||Okra (vainitas)||Ok (today)|
|Energy||36 kcal||56 kcal|
|carbohydrates||8.20 g||11.30 g|
|proteins||2.10 g||4.40 g|
|thanks||0.20 g||0.60 g|
|fibers||1.70 g||2.10 g|
|calcium||84 mg||532 mg|
|Phosphor||90 mg||70 mg|
|hiero||1.20 mg||0.70 mg|
|beta carotene||185 mcg||385 mcg|
|riboflavin||0.08 mg||2.80 mg|
|Thiamine||0.04 mg||0.25 mg|
|niacin||0.60 mg||0.20 mg|
|Vitamin C||47 mg||59 mg|
|vitamin K||31.3 mg||–|
How to prepare la okra without baba
Many nutrients are present in the okra drool, but its taste in the soil will be pleasant, so to avoid this problem, cut your tips and use some of the following strategies:
1. Place a well of olive oil or vegetable oil in a non-stick pot, heat it and add the well-washed okras. Revolver until all the drool is removed and dried. If possible, soak in water with 2 tablespoons of vinegar for 20 minutes.
2. Wash and dry the okras with a cloth and place them to brown in a pot with olive oil and 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Revolver until all the drool salts and dries.
3. Wash, dry and cut the okras and place them in the oven for approximately 15 minutes. The baby will have to come out and dry with the heat of the oven, in addition to cooking during this time. Remove from the meat and sauté with garlic and olive oil.
4. Wash, dry and cut the okras and place them in water with lemon for 30 minutes.
Recipes with Okra
Next, we present you some recipes to cook this vegetable:
1. Pollo con okra
- 1 whole chicken, as of 1.5 kg;
- 200 g of okra;
- 1 chopped onion;
- 1 chopped tomato;
- 5 steel teeth;
- 1 chopped pepper;
- 1/4 cup of olive oil;
- 1 cucharadita of cumino in octopus;
- 1 sprig of Perejil;
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Season the chicken with garlic, cumin, onion, salt, pepper, pepper and tomato. Leave to marinate in the fridge for 30 minutes. However, it is also necessary to wash, cut into cubes and remove the drool from the okra following some of the techniques mentioned above. The continuation, in a pan, sauté the onion with olive oil and, once browned, add the chicken and mix.
Add water until it covers the pollo and keep it at medium heat for approximately 20 minutes. Once this time has elapsed, add the previously prepared okra, mix and keep the preparation at medium heat for another 20 minutes. If you have a lot of broth, you can leave it a little longer to let it dry. Finally, add the perejil and serve hot.
2. Meat ground with okra
- 1/2 kg of ground beef low in grease;
- 250 g of okra;
- 1 medium chopped onion;
- 3 crushed garlic teeth;
- 2 spoonfuls of olive oil;
- 2 spoonfuls of oregano;
- Salt, pepper and perejil to taste.
Wash, cut and remove the drool from the okras as mentioned above. In a pan put a little olive oil and sauté the onion, add the ground meat previously seasoned with garlic, pepper, salt and perejil and cook for approximately 20 minutes. Finally, mix the okra and the oregano, cook for a further 10 minutes.
3. Okra salad with ricotta
- 200 g of okra;
- 1 small yellow pepper;
- 1 medium sized onion;
- 50 g of chopped acetoni;
- 150 g of fresh ricotta;
- 3 tablespoons of vinegar;
- 3 spoonfuls of olive oil;
- Salt to taste.
Wash, cut and remove the drool from the okras as mentioned above. Next, place them in a pot with water and salt and cook them for 10 minutes. Paste, dejar cool and cut the okras en rodajas. In a pan put a little olive oil and sauté the onion quickly.
Roast the pepper in the oven at 200ºC for 10 minutes, cut it into strips or into large cubes. In a bowl, mix all the ingredients, adding the ricotta cheese and the acetunas. Aderezar with vinegar, olive oil and salt.
See how to carry out a diet to lose weight fast and healthy.
Verified by RJ9823 – Public Utility – cc2.0
Consult a Doctor | Translated by User2937
Content for educational purposes only
The translator user relied on the following text:
Tua Saude Website – REF93782 – Verified
Disclaimer – (English version>) This content has been prepared based on information from research, additional publications, or the translation/verification work of a volunteer editor of this web council. This is a non-profit service. It is strongly recommended that all details and information published be carefully verified. We never allow medication recommendations, medication package inserts or any medication guidance. We never allow partisan politics as information.
Isenção de responsabilidade – (versão em português): Este conteúdo foi preparado com base em informações de pesquisas, publicações adicionais ou no trabalho de tradução/verificação de um editor voluntário deste conselho web. Este é um serviço sem fins lucrativos. É altamente recomendável que todos os detalhes e informações publicadas sejam verificadas cuidadosamente. Nunca permitimos recomendações de medicamentos, bulas ou qualquer orientação sobre medicamentos. Nunca permitimos a política partidária como base para checagem. Para mais informações, leia nossos termos.