Library

First aids for ingesting detergent: what to do and what not to do

  Fact-checking   Autentic   DMCA   Report

Despite being used every day, the detergent is a potentially dangerous product, especially if it is ingested, as it contains substances that are toxic and irritating to the body, such as phosphate, silicates, chemical stains, foam modifiers. , colorants, artificial fragrances and alcohols.

In this way, when ingesting a small amount of detergent, it is possible that there are consequences for health, and it is important to start the first aids:

  1. Immediately call the number of emergencies in case the person is unconscious;
  2. Call the toxicological center number which is indicated on the product label to obtain the proper orientation, being important to indicate what the product was and the amount ingested, in addition to the symptoms presented;
  3. Keep the person comfortable until medical help arrives.

Although this accident can happen in adults, it is more frequent with children, which is why it is important that the cleaning products are stored in a place that is difficult to access for them and that they are maintained in their original containers, in this way, in case that there is an accident, if it is possible to give more precise information about the ingested product.



In addition, it is recommended that the milk is not given water, and that it can have a greater absorption of the product, increasing the risk of complications, as well as causing vomiting.

How is treatment carried out in the hospital

The medical treatment will depend on the detergent ingested, on the quantity of the product and on the symptoms manifested. However, it is normal for the person to be connected to various medical devices, to measure the heart and respiratory rate, blood pressure, oxygen supply and heart functioning and, in some cases, it is necessary to remain hospitalized for a few days to check that the state of health does not get worse.

In addition, during treatment, the doctor may recommend:

  • Medicines to prevent vomitingsuch as metoclopramide or activated carbon;
  • stomach wash to eliminate the toxic product;
  • Intravenous serum therapy to maintain the water and electrolyte balance;
  • Giving medication to treat seizures such as diazepam, and if necessary, medications to keep the heart rate stable;
  • Use oxygen mask to help you breathe better or use other devices to be able to breathe.​​​​​​

In the case of children, it is common for parents to accompany them to the hospital, helping to control anxiety and anxiety.



Symptoms of detergent poisoning

After the detergent intake, the person can present some signs and symptoms whose seriousness can vary from agreement to the amount consumed and the age of the person, being more common that children present more serious symptoms. The main signs and symptoms that indicate detergent poisoning are:

  • Aliento with foreign scent;
  • Much salivation or foam in the mouth;
  • Abdominal pain, nausea and diarrhea;
  • Vomiting and in some cases with bleeding;
  • Difficulty breathing;​
  • Face, lips and blue and pale nails;
  • Cold and sweating;
  • agitation;
  • Somnolence and apathy;
  • Delusions with meaningless conversations and extraneous behaviors;
  • fainting.

In the event that a child has not been able to ingest detergent but has some of the symptoms or if the container of the product is open, you can check your intake and act immediately, requesting medical help.

How to prevent the ingestion of toxic liquids

To avoid poisoning by detergent or other cleaning products, it is important to store them in a place that is difficult for children to access, keep the product labels, as well as the packaging itself, avoiding using food containers or other containers to store them. In addition, it is recommended to avoid keeping cleaning products close to drinks or food.

Verified by RJ9823 – Public Utility – cc2.0

Consult a Doctor | Translated by User2937

Content for educational purposes only

The translator user relied on the following text:

Tua Saude Website – REF93782 – Verified

Disclaimer – (English version>) This content has been prepared based on information from research, additional publications, or the translation/verification work of a volunteer editor of this web council. This is a non-profit service. It is strongly recommended that all details and information published be carefully verified. We never allow medication recommendations, medication package inserts or any medication guidance. We never allow partisan politics as information.

Isenção de responsabilidade – (versão em português): Este conteúdo foi preparado com base em informações de pesquisas, publicações adicionais ou no trabalho de tradução/verificação de um editor voluntário deste conselho web. Este é um serviço sem fins lucrativos. É altamente recomendável que todos os detalhes e informações publicadas sejam verificadas cuidadosamente. Nunca permitimos recomendações de medicamentos, bulas ou qualquer orientação sobre medicamentos. Nunca permitimos a política partidária como base para checagem. Para mais informações, leia nossos termos.

  Fact-checking   Autentic   DMCA   Report

Show More

CORE

Support Independent Journalism. Replicates and elaborates knowledge and matters of public utility. Non-profit. Please, help us. > Donate

Related Articles

Back to top button

Adblock Detectado.

Desative seu AdBlock para poder acessar o conteúdo gratuito.