The nutritional yeast or Nutritional Yeast it’s a kind of yeast called Saccharomyces cerevisiae, it is rich in protein, fiber, B vitamins, antioxidants and minerals. This type of yeast, unlike the yeast used to prepare bread, is not alive and can be fortified during the production process with vitamins and minerals.
This food is very used to complement the diet of vegetarians, and it can also be used to thicken salsas and prepare rice, frijoles, pastas, quiches or salads, for example, because it gives flavor to foods by having a similar taste with parmesan cheese, in addition to increasing the nutritional value of these foods.
As it is rich in several nutrients, the use of nutritional yeast could offer several health benefits, helping to reduce cholesterol, prevent premature aging and strengthen the immune system.
what is it for
Nutritional yeast is low in calories, rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber and antioxidants, does not contain fats, sugars or gluten, in addition to being vegan. For this reason, some of the nutritional yeast benefits for health include:
- Could prevent premature aging, because it is rich in antioxidants such as glutathione, protecting the cells of the organism from damage caused by free radicals. In addition, antioxidants also pose anticancer activity and prevent the emergence of chronic diseases;
- It could strengthen the immune systemit is an excellent source of B vitamins, selenium, zinc and, in addition, nutritional yeast contains certain types of carbohydrates such as beta-glucans, which act as immunomodulators and can stimulate the cells of the immune system;
- It could help to lower cholesterol, because the fibers reduce the absorption of cholesterol at the intestinal level;
- prevent anemia for being rich in hierro and in vitamin B12;
- Contribute to skin, hair and muscle healthit is rich in proteins, vitamin B complex and selenium;
- Improve bowel functionbecause it is rich in fibers that favor intestinal movements and, together with a good intake of water, allows the exit of the heces with greater ease, avoiding the improvement of stress.
Similarly, nutritional yeast does not contain gluten and can be used in vegetarian diets to increase the nutritional value of foods, as it is rich in proteins of high biological value.
In addition, it also helps to prevent or improve vitamin B12 deficiency, especially in vegetarian or vegan people, by adding 1 tablespoon of fortified nutritional yeast to daily meals. See how to identify vitamin B12 deficiency.
Nutritional information for yeast
Nutritional yeast can be used both in food and beverages, providing the following nutritional information:
|Nutritional Information||15 g of Nutritional Yeast|
|Vitamin B1||9.6 mg|
|Vitamin B2||9.7 mg|
|Vitamin B3||56 mg|
|Vitamin B6||9.6 mg|
|B12 vitamin||7.8 mcg|
|Vitamin B9||240 mcg|
These amounts are for every 15 g of nutritional yeast used, which is equivalent to 1 spoonful of slurry. It is important to check the nutritional labeling of the product, as the nutritional yeast may or may not be fortified, so its nutritional components may vary from one brand to another.
See how to read the nutritional label correctly.
How to use nutritional yeast
To use nutritional yeast, you can add 1 spoonful of water to: drinks, soups, pastas, salsas, pastries, salads, toppings or bread.
Likewise, nutritional yeast should be used following the guidance of a doctor or nutritionist, especially if a woman is embarrassed or in the lactation phase.
Verified by RJ9823 – Public Utility – cc2.0
Consult a Doctor | Translated by User2937
Content for educational purposes only
The translator user relied on the following text:
Tua Saude Website – REF93782 – Verified
Disclaimer – (English version>) This content has been prepared based on information from research, additional publications, or the translation/verification work of a volunteer editor of this web council. This is a non-profit service. It is strongly recommended that all details and information published be carefully verified. We never allow medication recommendations, medication package inserts or any medication guidance. We never allow partisan politics as information.
Isenção de responsabilidade – (versão em português): Este conteúdo foi preparado com base em informações de pesquisas, publicações adicionais ou no trabalho de tradução/verificação de um editor voluntário deste conselho web. Este é um serviço sem fins lucrativos. É altamente recomendável que todos os detalhes e informações publicadas sejam verificadas cuidadosamente. Nunca permitimos recomendações de medicamentos, bulas ou qualquer orientação sobre medicamentos. Nunca permitimos a política partidária como base para checagem. Para mais informações, leia nossos termos.