The arracacha, also known as zanahoria blanca, racacha or criollo apio, is a tuber rich in carbohydrates and fibers that provides energy to the organism and favors the correct functioning of the intestine. This tuber can be obtained in countries like Brazil, Colombia, Ecuador, Venezuela and Costa Rica.
In addition, this tuber is rich in vitamins B and C, as well as minerals such as calcium, iron and phosphorus, so being rich in these nutrients, it provides several health benefits.
benefits of la arracacha
This tuber can be included both in diets to gain muscle mass and in diets to slim down, it is only necessary to vary the amount consumed and the accompaniments of the plate. Its main benefits for health are:
- Provide energy to the body, for being an excellent source of carbohydrates;
- Combat the stressas it is rich in fiber and improves the health of the intestinal flora;
- Improve the immune system for being rich in zinc, vitamin C and vitamins of the B complex, nutrients that are fundamental to increase the defenses of the organism;
- Prevent premature aging and improve the health of the skin, because it contains a high amount of vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant that promotes skin healing and collagen production;
- Improve the health of the heart, as it is rich in vitamin B3, which helps to reduce cholesterol and triglyceride levels, reducing the risk of suffering heart diseases. In addition to this, it also helps to relax blood vessels and improve circulation, by containing minerals such as magnesium and potassium;
- Maintain the health of the huesos and the dientesbecause it is rich in calcium and phosphorus, essential nutrients to prevent diseases such as osteopenia and osteoporosis;
- Promote muscle growth, because it is rich in carbohydrates, which provides energy for training. In addition, it is rich in calcium and magnesium, minerals that improve strength and muscle contraction, favoring hypertrophy.
Arracacha has fewer calories than camote (sweet potato) and a similar amount of fiber, which makes it an excellent option to vary the diet and promote weight loss or increase muscle mass.
The table below reflects nutritional information for 100 g of arracacha:
|nutritional composition||boiled arracacha||raw arracacha|
|Energy||80 kcal||101 kcal|
|carbohydrates||18.9 g||24.0 g|
|proteins||0.9 g||1.0 g|
|thanks||0.2 g||0.2 g|
|fibers||1.8 g||2.1 g|
|Magnesium||8 mg||12 mg|
|potassium||258 mg||505 mg|
|zinc||0.4 mg||0.2 mg|
|calcium||12 mg||17 mg|
|manganese||0.22 mg||0.07 mg|
|Phosphor||29 mg||45 mg|
|hiero||0.4 mg||0.3 mg|
|Vitamin B1||0.06 mg||0.05 mg|
|Vitamin B3||1.98 mg||bring|
|Vitamin C||17.1 mg||7.6 mg|
Can you consume arracacha to lose weight?
If you can consume arracacha on a diet to lose weight, however, it is important that you have a small portion, between 80 to 100 g in the morning or on the scene. This tuber should preferably be prepared with the garlic and without adding other sources of carbohydrates, such as rice, pasta or yuca harina.
In addition to the arracacha, you should add a good portion of meat, chicken or fish, which is the source of plate proteins, as well as a vegetable salad with olive oil, thus increasing the feeling of satiety.
How to use arracacha to increase muscle mass
People who want to increase muscle mass and weight can consume larger amounts of arracacha, in addition to being able to add other sources of carbohydrates in their same food, such as rice, pasta and yuca harina.
The food also must contain a good amount of proteins such as meat, chicken or fish, and salad with olive oil. Before training, you can eat arracacha with eggs and cheese, accompanied by fruit or natural yogurt, for example.
Preparation forms and recipes
The white zanahoria can be eaten, fried, roasted in the oven or in puree, in addition to being added to soups and fish or meat dishes. Cooking it must keep the shell and only remove it after cooking, because it is in this way that so many minerals and vitamins are not lost in the water.
Fried arracacha should be avoided on slimming diets, being the best option to cook in the oven. The puree option can also be used more for those who want to gain weight, because the addition of butter and milk in the preparation of the puree makes the food more caloric. Some recipes with arracacha are:
1. Arracacha Soup
- 500 g of arracacha;
- 500 g of zanahoria;
- 1 medium onion;
- 3 steel teeth;
- 120 ml of olive oil;
- 500 g of pechuga de pollo, cut into cubes;
- 1 liter of water;
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil;
- Salt, pepper and perejil to taste.
In a pressure bowl, suffer the ajo and the onion in olive oil. When they are dorados, add the pollo, the zanahoria and the arracacha, and suffer again. Add the salt, the pepper and the perejil, and cook for approximately 10 minutes, counted from when the piece starts releasing steam by increasing pressure. If you want the soup in the form of a cream, cook the pollo separately and grind the arracacha cooked with zanahoria before mixing it with the pollo.
2. Mashed arracacha
- 1/2 kg of hervida arracacha;
- 1/2 kg of herbed porridge;
- 1/2 medium diced onion;
- 2 spoonfuls of butter;
- 200 g of cream of milk;
- 1 cup of skimmed milk;
- Salt and black pepper to taste;
- 50 g grated parmesan to brown.
- 3 spoonfuls of olive oil;
- 3 minced or crushed garlic teeth;
- 1/2 kg of ground beef;
- 5 chopped tomatoes;
- 1/2 cup of tomato salsa;
- Salt and black pepper to taste;
- 4 spoonfuls of chopped perejil.
To prepare the puree, you must grind the arracacha and the papa aún calientes. Then, lightly fry the onion in butter, add the crushed papas and arracacha and the other ingredients, let the mixture cook for 3 to 5 minutes.
For the relleno, to suffer the process of olive oil and to add the meat, to suffer until dry and suelta. Add the tomato and the tomato salsa and season it with salt and pepper to taste, cook until it forms a thicker salsa. Add the salt and the perejil.
To assemble the purée relleno, it is necessary to grease a refractory glass mold with butter and extend the mitad of the puree, adding the relleno on top and, finally, covering it with the other mitad of the puree. Sprinkle with cheese on top and place in a preheated oven at 200 ºC, around 20 minutes.
Also know the benefits of camote or sweet potato.
Verified by RJ9823 – Public Utility – cc2.0
Consult a Doctor | Translated by User2937
Content for educational purposes only
The translator user relied on the following text:
Tua Saude Website – REF93782 – Verified
Disclaimer – (English version>) This content has been prepared based on information from research, additional publications, or the translation/verification work of a volunteer editor of this web council. This is a non-profit service. It is strongly recommended that all details and information published be carefully verified. We never allow medication recommendations, medication package inserts or any medication guidance. We never allow partisan politics as information.
Isenção de responsabilidade – (versão em português): Este conteúdo foi preparado com base em informações de pesquisas, publicações adicionais ou no trabalho de tradução/verificação de um editor voluntário deste conselho web. Este é um serviço sem fins lucrativos. É altamente recomendável que todos os detalhes e informações publicadas sejam verificadas cuidadosamente. Nunca permitimos recomendações de medicamentos, bulas ou qualquer orientação sobre medicamentos. Nunca permitimos a política partidária como base para checagem. Para mais informações, leia nossos termos.