The yerba mate is a medicinal plant that has a thin stalk of gray color, oval leaves and small green or purple fruits. It is widely consumed in Argentina, the southern region of Brazil, Uruguay, Chile and Paraguay, being used mainly as a non-alcoholic beverage for socialization in these countries.
This plant is rich in caffeine and is characterized by the fact that it is consumed in a container called mate, however the porongo or “calabacita”, which has a kind of popote or the metal pitlo called bombilla, which has small agujeros that prevent las hojas pass through el.
Your scientific name is Ilex paraguariensis You can buy your dry herb or in the form of drops in natural products stores, in supermarkets or online stores.
The yerba mate could provide several health benefits that include:
- lower cholesterol, they can be rich in antioxidants and contain saponins, which help to reduce “bad” LDL cholesterol, thus preventing the emergence of atherosclerosis and other heart diseases such as a heart attack or stroke;
- Promote weight loss, some studies have indicated that it delays gastric emptying and increases the sensation of fullness. Furthermore, it is believed that it may have effects on adipose tissue, controlling some genes related to obesity, such as inflammatory markers;
- Act as an antibacterialacting against mutans streptococcus, which is located in the oral cavity and is one of the main causal agents of caries. In addition, properties against other bacteria such as Bacillus subtilis, Brevibacterium ammoniagenes, Propionibacterium acnes, Staphylococcus aureusamong others;
- Prevent chronic illnesses like diabetes, because it helps to regulate blood sugar, and some types of cancer. This is due to the fact that the yerba mate is rich in antioxidants that prevent the damage caused by free radicals to the cells, in addition to having anti-inflammatory properties;
- Act as an antifungalagainst microorganisms such as Saccharomyces cerevisiae, Candida utilis, Pityrosporum ovale, Penicillium chrysogenum and Trichophyton mentagrophytes;
- Stimulate the organism, improve the mood and improve concentrationbecause they are rich in caffeine and B vitamins, the latter are important micronutrients for the proper functioning of metabolism, acting as coenzymes that participate in the reactions of nutrient catabolism, to obtain energy from the foods that are consumed;
- Help increase defensesBecause it contains vitamin C, E and other minerals that help strengthen the immune system.
In addition to this, it could improve blood circulation, as it contains potassium, a mineral that helps to relax the arteries, allowing the blood to flow more easily.
The yerba mate contains caffeine, saponins, polyphenols, xanthines, theophylline, theobromine, folic acid, tannins, minerals and vitamins A, B1, B2, C and E. For this reason, it acts as an antioxidant, diuretic, mild laxative, stimulant, antidiabetic, antiobesity, anticancer, antibacterial, antifungal, hypocholesterolemic and aid in digestion.
Some scientific studies suelen use a dose of 3 cups of 330 ml each one of yerba mate daily untill 60 days. It is also known that it is safe to drink up to 1.5L a day, but it has not been shown that higher doses can lead to toxicity.
In the case of consuming a supplement of yerba mate extract, the recommendation is between 1000 to 1500 mg per day.
There are several ways to prepare the yerba mate you can eat it cold, hot, combined with some natural yoke and even milk.
1. Yerba mate tea
- Yerba mate;
- Water flowing.
Put the yerba mate until the mitad of the mate, cover it with the hand and shake it for 10 seconds, leaving the yerba mate on the sides of the mate, leaving it at an angle of approximately 45º. The continuation, pouring the tibia water, moistening the bottom of the mate and letting it rest for a few seconds, this process is called cebado.
Introduce the bomb in the wet area and support it on the wall of the mate. Add hot water chorritos where the bombilla is located, trying not to wet the upper part of the yerba and drink.
Yerba mate for tereré;
Cold water and hielo.
Fill 1/2 vase with yerba mate, add the cold water, the hielo and if you want some fruit juice. Put the bombilla, cebar and drink.
Its consumption is apparently safe, however, as it contains caffeine, yerba mate can in some cases cause insomnia or difficulty sleeping.
Mate is contraindicated in children, embarassed women and people with insomnia, nervousness, anxiety problems or high tension, due to its high caffeine content.
In addition, in the case of diabetic patients, this drink should only be used under the guidance of a doctor; This could reduce the blood sugar levels and it might be necessary to adapt the treatment.
Verified by RJ9823 – Public Utility – cc2.0
Consult a Doctor | Translated by User2937
Content for educational purposes only
The translator user relied on the following text:
Tua Saude Website – REF93782 – Verified
Disclaimer – (English version>) This content has been prepared based on information from research, additional publications, or the translation/verification work of a volunteer editor of this web council. This is a non-profit service. It is strongly recommended that all details and information published be carefully verified. We never allow medication recommendations, medication package inserts or any medication guidance. We never allow partisan politics as information.
Isenção de responsabilidade – (versão em português): Este conteúdo foi preparado com base em informações de pesquisas, publicações adicionais ou no trabalho de tradução/verificação de um editor voluntário deste conselho web. Este é um serviço sem fins lucrativos. É altamente recomendável que todos os detalhes e informações publicadas sejam verificadas cuidadosamente. Nunca permitimos recomendações de medicamentos, bulas ou qualquer orientação sobre medicamentos. Nunca permitimos a política partidária como base para checagem. Para mais informações, leia nossos termos.